WHO FCTC GLOBAL KNOWLEDGE HUB ON SMOKELESS TOBACCO
The World Health Organization Framework convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) has designated the National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research as WHO FCTC Global Knowledge Hub on smokeless Tobacco (KHSLT). The primary objective of this hub is to collect/create evidence on different aspects of smokeless tobacco (SLT) and develop a knowledgebase for different stakeholders. The hub may take help of other agencies in this exercise. The KHSLT will assist Member States in improving SLT control in consultation with WHO FCTC Secretariat.
The SLT hub isdeveloping a searchable web portal of SLT related information such as epidemiology, manufacturing process, health effects, product constituent’s, prevention and control policies, population based cessation interventions etc. KHSLT is collecting and analysing the global and country specific data on SLT burden, It is involved in dissemination of the produced material via varied channels to relevant stakeholders (via web portal, consultations at request, training, workshops and conferences).
- Generate and share expertise, information and knowledge.
- Assist Parties of the WHO FCTC in the area of SLT control.
- Policy oriented additional project.
Global Knowledge Hub on Smokeless Tobacco (KH SLT) & Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW), Govt. of India
- To help MoHFW, GoI in developing tobacco portal.
- To help MoHFW, GoI in establishing laboratory networks and standardization of procedures.
- To compile, synthesize and analyze India specific smokeless tobacco related work.
- To study impact of policy interventions.
- Workshop on Tobacco Control and Health Informatics: 29-30th March, 2017.
- WHO FCTC Conference of Parties (Seventh session): 7-12 November, 2016.
- Monograph on ‘Smokeless Tobacco & Public Health in India’ was released.
List of Publications
- Sinha DN, Gupta PC, Kumar A, Bhartiya D, Agarwal N, Sharma S, Singh H, Parascandola M, Mehrotra R. The Poorest of Poor Suffer the Greatest Burden from Smokeless Tobacco Use: Study from 140 countries. Accepted in Nicotine Tob Res
- Sinha DN, Kumar A, Bhartiya D, Sharma S, Gupta PC, Singh H, Mehrotra R. Smokeless Tobacco Use among Adolescents in Global Perspective. Nicotine Tob Res 2017; Jan 19. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntx004.
- Sinha DN, Bhartiya D, Kumar A, Singh H, Mehrotra R. Men in Myanmar Submerged in Tobacco: Women Following. Nicotine Tob Res 2016; Dec 7. pii: ntw314.
- Sinha DN, Suliankatchi RA, Gupta PC, Thamarangsi T, Agarwal N, Parascandola M, Mehrotra R. Global burden of all-cause and cause-specific mortality due to smokeless tobacco use: systematic review and meta-analysis. Tob Control 2016; Nov 30. pii: tobaccocontrol-2016-053302. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053302.
- Research Papers Submitted
- Non Communicable Disease Risk Factors and their Trends in India- Asia-Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention.
- Smokeless tobacco use attributable oral cancer: A Systematic global review and Meta-analysis – Nicotine Tobacco Research.
- Systematic review and Meta-analysis of the association between smokeless tobacco use and coronary heart disease: a global perspective- Nicotine Tobacco Research.
- Ongoing Research
- Global progress on policies pertaining to health warnings on tobacco products as per Article 11 of WHO FCTC.
- Evaluation of global policies as per Article 12 of WHO FCTC: A global analysis.
- Global progress on policies pertaining to prohibition of sale of tobacco products to minors.
- Evaluation of global policies as per Article 13 of WHO FCTC: A global analysis.
- Future avenues of Oral cancer biomarkers through RNA-Seq technology.
- Rising face of Risk Factors of Non-Communicable Diseases: Findings from the Myanmar STEPS Surveys.
- Global review on policy implementation status in Smokeless tobacco control.
- SLTChemDB: Database of Chemical Constituents of Smokeless Tobacco Products.
Global Policy Meeting: August 16-18, 2017
- KH SLT is organizing a meeting on 16-17th August, 2017 in New Delhi on smokeless tobacco control policies.
- KH will engage with parties from South-East Asia region along with regional and global experts on SLT.
Global Policy Meeting: August 16-18, 2017
- One of the 3 National Tobacco Testing Laboratories in the country has been proposed in NICPR.
- Focus would be on providing evidence on constituents and effects of various tobacco products, especially smokeless forms.
In the News: WHO hub to check smokeless tobacco use